Vice President of Foundation Relations
Occupations:TITLE (JOB LEVEL): Director / VP / Chief Officer
Development / Fundraising: Grantwriting / Foundations Relations
Work. Serve. Thrive.
Imagine a place where your talent can make a meaningful difference in peoples' lives. Working at Feeding America is a uniquely rewarding experience in which our employees work together as vital parts of a much larger mission. We are innovative, mission-focused, diverse, collaborative, values-driven and focused on results.We are a national, nonprofit organization and the nation's leading domestic hunger-relief charity. Located in the heart of downtown Chicago, our mission is to feed America's hungry through a nationwide network of member food banks and engage our country in the fight to end hunger.
The Vice President of Foundations Relations (VPFR) serves as the primary relationship manager for a portfolio of Feeding America’s principal foundation donors and is responsible for identifying, cultivating, soliciting and securing support from them. The VPFR oversees the department to ensure that the foundation team meets the annual foundation fundraising and operating revenue targets.
The VPFR will be engaged actively in building long-term partnerships and strengthening existing relationships with the foundation community with a view to securing funding for the immediate and long-term goals of Feeding America (FANO). The position provides the expertise to advance FANO’s interests by researching and identifying sources of support, proactively seeking opportunities to generate new proposals, and by maintaining strong communication ties with foundation donors and prospects. The VPFR will have responsibility for supervising the office daily operations, budget and support staff and working closely with colleagues in FANO on content and strategy regarding foundation support.Responsibilities:
- Serves as team lead overseeing all high level activity with the portfolio of foundation (private, community, and other non-corporate foundations) supporters of Feeding America.
- Directs strategy for Feeding America’s top tier foundation partners in concert with the Chief Development Officer and Director of Foundations.
- Designs, implements, and manages a comprehensive proactive development plan focused on expanding and enhancing foundation relationships by directing and coordinating activities related to obtaining foundation support. Shapes program ideas and new initiatives into fundable projects; advises on programmatic and budgetary issues related to fundraising, and develops foundation donor strategies. Works with FANO staff and leadership to help develop specific fundraising strategies around emerging projects and priorities.
- Devises, implements, and participates in strategic foundation outreach, including briefings, meetings with foundation leadership and program staff including staff trips to visit with donors, as required.
- Works closely with greater Development Department, particularly the Major Gifts team, to identify and pursue coordinated strategies with respect to institutional programmatic priorities
- Develops highly competitive proposals for foundation prospects and leverages diverse foundation goals and preferences in conjunction with organizational goals.
- Maintains a rigorous schedule of contacts with foundation representatives, creating compelling presentations and comprehensive fundraising proposals.
- Monitors proposal deadlines, prepares and edits proposals, and manages proposal submissions. Maintains high quality stewardship process for active foundation prospects and donors. Ensures that stewardship and reporting requirements are met to sustain successful partnerships by maintaining detailed records of solicitation activities.
- Serves as a key member of the Development leadership team and contributes to Development team management.
- Builds a collaborative relationship with member food banks for the linkage of foundation relationships between local and national levels.
- Cover letter required with resume.
- Advanced degree and CFRE certification preferred
- A deep commitment to the mission of Feeding America.
- Experienced leader with ten years or more of institutional fund raising experience.
- Proven capacity for strategic, “big picture” thinking.
- Demonstrated experience with major account management and with fundraising.
- Experience in cultivating multi-million gifts including developing donor strategies, solicitation approaches and donor stewardship.
- Strong communication and collaboration skills.
- Knowledge of cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship strategies and techniques, particularly in the area of foundation fundraising techniques required.
- Demonstrated ability to communicate effectively complicated issues through written materials.
- Ability to interface effectively with the highest level of foundation staff and senior staff members. Successful track record in developing and maintaining lasting relationships with donors and prospects.
- Demonstrated ability in grant and proposal writing at appropriate levels for varied proposal development.
- Ability to bring in colleagues for collaboration on the entire spectrum of interests at Feeding America including: food, funds, ending hunger, promotion and advocacy.
- Excellent organizational, interpersonal and networking skills with large groups as well as with individuals are essential.
- Ability to maintain a high level of poise and professionalism in all circumstances.
- Willingness to travel nationally dependent upon donor requirements.
- Committed to organizational mission of ending hunger.